Facts & Stats
A CAUSE for Proper, Annual Background Screening
- 93% of Recruiters Say Background Screening Amplifies Their Talent Acquisition Efforts. (HireRight’s 2014 Annual Employment Screening Benchmark)
- 72% of respondents reported that background screening uncovered issues that would not otherwise have been found. (HireRight’s 2014 Annual Employment Screening Benchmark)
- 27% of employers reported the cost of a bad hire exceeded $50,000. (HireRight’s 2014 Annual Employment Screening Benchmark)
- Around 9% of all job applicants claim degrees they do not possess.
- Employers lose an estimated 79% of negligent hiring lawsuits, and the average jury award exceeds $1 million. (Brown Political Review)
- According to a recent survey conducted by a ARS, 53% of employers never re-screen members of their staff. (ARS)
- Every six minutes a convicted criminal tries to volunteer or attain a position at a nonprofit organization.
- 35% of small business failures are attributed to employee-related crime.
Sex Offender Statistics
- 26% of people raped reported the perpetrator as a stranger. (U.S. Bureau of Justice)
- 27% of reported rapes occurred in the victim’s home. (U.S. Bureau of Justice)
- 70% of sex offenders will commit a crime after release from jail. Yes, ex-offenders need to find work, but NOT in jobs that give access to the vulnerable. (NCMEC, Prevent Abuse Now, Criminal Justice Agency)
- There are 747,408 registered sex offenders nationwide in the U.S. (NCMEC, Prevent Abuse Now, Criminal Justice Agency)
Vulnerable Population Abuse Statistics
- In 2010, almost 10% of the elderly population was abused.
- 36% of nursing homes have been in violation of elderly abuse laws. Do you know who’s working with your parents/grandparents? (National Center on Elder Abuse, Bureau of Justice Statistics)
- 91% of nursing homes lack adequate staff to properly care for patients. (National Center on Elder Abuse, Bureau of Justice Statistics)
- Disabled people are violence victims at four times higher rate than others. (The Crime Report)
- Babysitters are responsible for 4.2% of criminal acts against children under six years of age. (Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention)
Workplace Safety & Internal Theft Statistics
- 52% of all identity theft occurs in and around the workplace.
- On average, it takes 2 years before employee fraud is detected. (Statistic Brain)
- 75% of employees have stolen at least once from their employer. (Statistic Brain)
- 33% of all businesses FAIL because of employee theft/fraud. (Statistic Brain)
- 37% of total retail thefts are committed by a manager. (Statistic Brain)
- 30% of small business failures are the result of bad hiring decisions. (U.S. Dept. of Commerce)
- 73% of all job applications contain falsified information. (Regional Investigations)
- Your own employees are 10 times more likely to steal than shoplifters. (Statistic Brain)
- An est. 1.7 million assaults occur in the workplace each year. (Bureau of Justice Statistics)
- An average of 87 people are injured each day due to workplace violence. (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2008)